Mississippi Rivers Featured Recipes
The Mississippi River region is known for its elegant mix of fascinating cultures which have turned out some of the most tantalizing cuisines in the nation. American Cruise Lines’ team of master chefs season each dish with a dash of culture from the particular port you are visiting. Enjoy Cajun and Creole cuisine in New Orleans; compare the famous barbecue of Memphis and St. Louis; and savor southern inspired refreshments such as mint juleps and fresh iced tea.
St. Louis-Style BBQ Ribs
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- St. Louis-Style Spareribs (4 racks)
- Low-salt chicken broth (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups store-bought or homemade barbecue sauce
Preheat oven to 350°
Combine first 5 ingredients in a small bowl.
Place each rack double layer of foil; sprinkle rub all over ribs.
Wrap racks individually and divide between 2 baking sheets.
Bake until very tender but not falling apart, about 3 hours.
Carefully unwrap ribs; pour any juices from foil into a 4-cup heatproof measuring cup; reserve juices.
Let ribs cool completely.
Build a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill or heat a gas grill to high.
Add broth or water to rib juices, if needed, to measure 1 1/2 cups. Whisk in barbecue sauce to blend.
Grill ribs, basting with barbecue sauce mixture and turning frequently, until lacquered and charred in places and heated through, 7-10 minutes.
Transfer to a cutting board; cut between ribs to separate.
Transfer to a platter and serve with additional barbecue sauce.
New Orleans Crawfish Cakes
- 1 pound cooked and peeled crawfish tails
- 3 cups soft breadcrumbs
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup yellow onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Red-Pepper Remoulade
- 1 roasted red bell pepper, minced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Prepare the Crawfish Cakes: Stir together crawfish, 2 cups breadcrumbs, and next 9 ingredients.Shape into 12 patties. Coat with remaining 1 cup breadcrumbs.
- Cook patties, in batches, in hot oil in a large skillet 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Drain on paper towels.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine red pepper, sour cream, basil, and olive oil. Pulse until combined and transfer to a small bowl. Set aside.
- Serve alongside or on top of the crawfish cakes.